Monday, August 1, 2011

Fruit Pizza


As the end of the summer rolls around, almost everyone has had a grad party. My brother’s grad party was this Saturday with lots of people and food to celebrate his graduation from high school. Each person does their party a little different and there are many food options. At mine years ago, I had hamburgers and brats along with the classic summer foods of fruit, potato salad and corn. For my brother’s, we did hot turkey and sloppy joe sandwiches (also known as Spanish hamburger). I helped my mom with as much as she needed whether it was grocery shopping or cutting veggies. As my contribution to the party, I prepared fruit pizzas. Fruit pizzas can be prepared in various ways, here is how I make them!


Dough:
2 containers of Simple Simon’s bakery sugar cookie dough (any sugar cookie dough is fine)

Fruit:
Strawberries
Blueberries
Kiwi
Mandarin oranges
Pineapple

Topping:
12 oz (1 ½ blocks) of cream cheese
1/2 cup of sugar
1 t vanilla

(I had to make 3 large pizzas because of the size of the party so I tripled the recipe using 6 blocks of cream cheese)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread flour on the counter and roll out the dough to the size of the pan. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin, and then unroll it onto the ungreased pan. The dough should be less than ½ an inch thick.

Bake in the oven in the center rack for about 8 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let that cool while you make the topping. Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Mix the topping on medium speed until smooth and blended thoroughly. 




Once the pizza cools, spread the topping to desired thickness and place the fruit on the cream cheese topping. Because my brother is planning on attending UW Madison, I made the fruit in the shape of a W for Wisconsin. I also made a “2011” design as well for the year he graduated.





No comments: