Monday, June 20, 2011

Chocolate Birthday Cake


My favorite thing about cooking is cooking for others. There is nothing better than surprising someone with cookies or making breakfast in bed for Mother’s Day. This past week was my brother’s birthday, so of course I made him a birthday cake.

A little back-story: last summer my mom and I took cake-decorating classes through Wilton. We learned how to make flowers out of frosting, how to use fondant, and how to boarder cakes with frosting design. The class was once a week for a little over a month. It was so worth the money and I would definitely recommend it to anyone!

For my brother’s birthday I brought out the bottomless bin of our cake decorating supplies. I used a recipe found on FoodGawker.com for Chocolate Oreo Cream Cake. It looked too great to pass up! 

The recipe called for using a chocolate cake mix for the two layers of cake and an Oreo cream filling consisting of cream cheese, sugar, whip cream, and Oreo cookies. Making the cake and filling was quick and easy, giving me more time to put my own spin on it with the decorations. 

  • I night before, I rolled out a 50/50 gum paste and fondant mixture to make loops of a bow. The loops had to dry and harden in time to put on the cake. The next day I assembled the bow by using a gum paste and water mixture that acted as glue. With three layers of loops (about 13 loops), I was able to make a cake topper!

  • After the bow was constructed I rolled out plain white fondant to cover the entire cake. Being my first time covering a whole cake in fondant, I was anxious to see how this one turned out. After the white fondant was on the cake, I rolled out green and orange fondant to make stars for all over the cake. For this I simply used a star-shaped cookie cutter. I then used a small circle cookie cutter to measure out equal circles that I used to roll into balls for around the base of the cake. I found this was a great way to cover up any imperfections along the edge of the fondant on the bottom. Here's the finished cake! 




No comments: